School Bond Issue Frequently Asked Questions
If you'd like to ask a question regarding the bond issue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much is the bond?
The bond will be a maximum of $34 Million with no increase in taxes for the citizens of Meridian.
Why do we need a bond issue?
School districts need bond issues to fund large capital projects. Operating budgets need to be used for normal educational needs. The average building in the district is 64 years old.
What are the major needs?
Safety and security, middle school needs, on-campus MHS baseball/softball complex, fine arts, and accessibility upgrades.
- Secure Entries
- Secure Fencing
- Perimeter Secure Hardware
- Improve ADA Compliance
- Upgrades to elementary learning spaces:
- Media Centers, science labs, playgrounds
- & auditoriums
- Current ESSER Renovations
- Major Renovations to Existing Middle Schools
- Safety and Security (Same as Elementaries)
- New Ceilings/Lights
- Site Improvements/Drainage
- Major Gym Renovations/Additions
- Major Additions of Classrooms/Labs
- New Entries and Administration
- Major Additions to Media Center
- New Cafeteria/Common Space
- New Fine Arts Suite
High School/Ross Collins
- New On Campus Baseball/Softball Complex
- Safety and Security Upgrades (Same as Elementaries)
- Major Canopy Connections to Separate Buildings to Unite the Campus
- Major Renovations of Band Hall/Fine Arts
What will we do if the bond issue fails?
We will continue to use operating funds, which takes money away from education, to repair our worst problems and postpone other important needs.
How are we funding needs beyond the bond issue?
The district is using federal COVID relief funds to renovate existing schools.
Where is the election taking place and when?
The election will take place on Tuesday, August 9, 2022, from 7:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. at various local voting precincts. Absentee ballots will also be available at the city clerk's office. Absentee voting has begun for the Meridian Public School District Special School Bond Election at Meridian City Hall (601 23rd Avenue) during regular business hours (8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). City Hall will also be open for absentee voting from 8:00 a.m. until noon on Saturday, July 30th and Saturday, August 6th. Election day is Tuesday, August 9th.
For a list/maps of the voting precincts please click here.
When will projects be completed?
Small projects will begin immediately and be completed in August of 2023. Larger projects should be completed in December of 2024.