- Meridian Public School District
March 2023 School Board Meeting News & Notes
The Meridian Public School District Board of Trustees met for its regularly scheduled March meeting on Tuesday, March 21, 2023, in the MHS Multipurpose Building.
Here are some highlights from the meeting:
Board Approves the School Reconfiguration Plan
The MPSD School Board approved the elementary school reconfiguration plan beginning with the 2023-2024 school year.
- Move Oakland Heights Students To A Better Facility (Carver)
- TJ Harris students will be divided between Carver and Crestwood
- Harris Upper would become New Administrative Complex
- Harris Lower would become our Little Wildcat Academy for all Pre-K students
The Board also approved the District’s request to declare a State of Emergency at Carver to prepare for opening as an Elementary School for the 2023-24 school year. This would allow the district to focus on installing restrooms in some of the elementary classrooms and prepare the grounds for increased traffic.
Star Student and Star Teacher
MPSD Superintendent Dr. Amy Carter, left, is pictured with MHS Star Student Haley Jenkins, center, and MHS Star Teacher Vanessa Reed.
D.A.R.E. Graduation Students at Parkview Elementary
School Resource Officer Antonio Naylor spoke to meeting attendees about the recent D.A.R.E Graduation held at Parkview Elementary School.
Students at Ross Collins Recognized
Ross Collins Career and Technical Center Students were recognized by Superintendent Dr. Amy Carter and Ross Collins Director Matt Johnson. The following students were recognized:
Instructor- Dena Patterson
Congratulations to Char’Tayvius Edwards on being selected as President of the Educators Rising student organization for the State of MS. Edwards is pictured with Superintendent Dr. Amy Carter.
Ross Collins also had several students recognized who are completing student internships with their Career Pathway.
Instructor- Mart Murphee
Jamarion Parker, Waters International
Instructor- Alan Topcik
Max Beckham, Northwood Country Club
Kentrell Winkfield, Northwood Country Club
Instructor- Charles Lockley
Adrianna McCalebb Coleman, Coleman Engineering Plus
Emmanuel Wilson, Clearspan Components
Justin Scott, Waggoner Engineering
Sha’nya Davis, Trend Health and Rehab Center
Haley Jenkins, Trend Health and Rehab Center
Marketing Instructor is Latonya May
These students placed at the competition held at Co-Lin Community College in Wesson, MS.
First Place Winners
Samiya Lewis, Business Services Marketing
Blissany Bigbee, Apparel and Accessories
Lance Kincaid, Marketing Communication
Marley Foy, Principles of Hospitality and Tourism
Second Place Winners
Jamarcus Towner, Food Marketing
Chloe Braxton, Human Resources Management
Terrain McClendon, Restaurant and Food Service Management
Ronald Norman, Sports and Entertainment Marketing
MSEF Region 5 Science Fair: The district also recognized those students who advanced to the MSEF Region 5 Science Fair.
Other News from the Meeting
- Board approves purchase of new Band Uniforms - The school board approved the purchase of 180 new band uniforms which were designed by 10th-grade band member Ja'Quiyalen Chaney. MHS band director Antonio Altman was able to show those in the audience a preview of the new uniforms. We can’t wait to hear more from Ja’Quiyalen about his inspiration for the uniforms. DeMoulin Brothers and Company will make the uniforms and was the only bidder on the project.
- The board also approved the purchase of 8 new Sousaphones, 8 Euphoniums, and 8 Mellophones. The instruments will be purchased from Music and Arts of Fredrick, Maryland. They were the only bidder on the project. This will allow middle schools to receive the older instruments once the new ones arrive.
- The next regularly scheduled meeting of the MPSD Board of Trustees will take place on Monday, April 17, 2023, at 5:30 p.m. in the MHs Multi-purpose Building, which is located at 2320 32nd Street.